Saturday, June 25, 2016

A crupper and Poptart the Catapult


My new crupper from Distance Depot arrived on Friday.  It is wonderfully made with a shaped smooth leather tail piece, custom snaps for easy removal at vet checks, loads of holes for adjustment, and in matching red beta. It also arrived just 3 days after placing the custom order, WOW!

Poptart has worn a crupper several times this winter when learning to pull the hay net in harness. He kicked up a few times on-line at a trot/canter initially, but he also had full breeching with straps dangling by his legs.  He then always settled down and learned pulling the hay around = cookies.  So I assumed the crupper while riding wouldn't be a big deal either. I also handle his tail a lot and he enjoys having it scratched (as well as the area under the tail too!).

Because I do have some sense, I played on-line with him wearing the new crupper prior to riding. Initially on-line he reacted as expected, when first trotting and cantering he showed how flexible and strong his loin is with explosive straight leg bucks. He can angle his body in a straight line at about a almost perpendicular to the ground and has his back legs extended straight up into the air -- he can rival any bronc, at least in the straight buck! Thankfully he generally doesn't do any dirty twists, etc.  I will have to get Graham to get a video next time (if there is a next time).  He settled down and then we played just a few minutes with some obstacles and then went back to make sure we still had calm, responsive transitions during the circle without any bucking.   He did great and we did several walk/trot/canter transitions each direction. Poptart is even offering very nice movement online and I reward immediately when he offers good posture by having him rest a moment or praising him.

I felt comfortable riding, and we started off in the arena--- boy do I need to spend less time riding and more time weeding the arena!  I wanted to practice more vertical poll releases, making sure we are both relaxed and not bracing at the walk and during walk/trot transitions. He did well, but he does have some brace we need to keep working out.  I suspect the brace is defensive from where the previous not-fitting bosal rubbed and caused pain, and of course improving my hands is always a must.   So after our arena warm up off we went to check out some trails near the house.

He was a little spooky out by himself and it seems it is always harder to ride away from home with scary neighborhood obstacles like lawn mowers, waving flags, dogs, random junk, etc than in the national forest.  We had just started into a nice trot, on a slightly uphill gravel road, when WHAM! I am catapulted through the air and contact the ground skidding forward on my elbows.  I looked up just in time to see another one of those very athletic, almost perpendicular to the ground straight back leg extension bucks. Then he runs up the road (thankfully not down towards home!). I called him, thinking  -- hey now we get real life practice for to prevent being lost in the woods :)  Again I was thankful that he turned around and did trot back to me and stop -- he was thinking about trotting past me and going all the way home but I am very glad he chose me.  He got a big carrot.  I played online right there for a few minutes to make sure he was again okay with the crupper, then removed it and continued on our ride. The ride overall wasn't very fun after being catapulted, he was a little all over the place and spooky, but he did listen and didn't do anything too bad after the crupper was removed. When we got home I rigged up his crupper practice outfit (see picture) that he will get to wear quite often over the next few weeks! On the bright side, I think the fact the crupper scared him suddenly meant that he had really engaged his hindquarters/rounded his back to trot up hill which increased the crupper pressure (yay for hindquarter engagement!) I will try riding with it again once he can wear it without even thinking of offering a buck. No more horse-catapults for me!

And then, while picking out the hind feet prior to turnout, I felt large wet clumps of fresh manure hit my shoulder and arms.  Thank you Poptart, nothing quite like being catapulted and s**t on in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment