Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Diversity Training


I was fortunate enough to get home from work a few minutes early to day and it was still daylight!
Unfortunately it was 23 degrees and blowing snow flurries... I have been wanting to spend more time building Poptart's confidence with obstacles and different situations, but do not always have the time (read this to mean I take him on a trail/conditioning ride instead!) With my few extra minutes tonight I decided to see if I could adjust Rogan's harness down enough to adequately fit Poptart.  Amazingly the harness had enough adjustment that it can fit both horses (Poptart may need a few more holes punched in it if he were to actually pull a load).

This was Poptart's first time wearing a harness or a crupper and he was a little nervous but never took a misstep. The straps touching his flanks and then the traces falling down around his legs bothered him the most, but he still only tensed and turned his impressively flexible neck around to see what was touching him.  The crupper did not phase him at all. Someday I would like him to be able to pull my light horse-drawn arena drag, not for his 'job', but just so he is okay with things dragging behind him, as 'behind him' is where the horse-eating monsters come from :)

No comments:

Post a Comment