Friday, September 18, 2015

More Relaxation

Poptart was the most relaxed he has ever been today! He did great saddling and riding and is figuring out sidepassing (it is very hard to do without going forward) We are also adding in more trotting under saddle and he likes to get a bit of attitude, but responds immediately to hindquarter yields. He has successfully hobbled in my neighbor's backyard and today I let him graze hobbled in my backyard while I went inside for a break (and I kept an eye on him through the window). He also high-tied by himself for over 2 hours yesterday when I rode Rogan to my neighbor's hair salon for cut/color. And he was mostly calmly eating hay when I spied on him on my way home! It is getting harder and harder to phase him with the tarp or pool noodles in any configuration on his body, and even at walk/trot/canter. He is still uncomfortable with touching things in zone 3-5 (saddle area to tail), and while I can touch him with an object there (no problem) he cannot move into and touch things himself (yet!) So we are building confidence with that area and also playing with backing onto obstacles (ie the horse trailer ramp, a small pedestal, over a pool noodle, etc). When I can safely and successfully play with the obstacles while riding (with a relaxed and confident horse!) we will be ready to hit the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment